Clark’s Trading Post is pleased to participate in a fundraising campaign to assist the Upper Pemigewasset Historical Society. ALL PROFITS FROM THIS SALE WILL BENEFIT THE UPPER PEMIGEWASSET HISTORICAL SOCIETY. The Society would greatly appreciate your support as it undertakes replacing the exterior siding of the museum building. This building, formerly the old Union Church, is the last of Lincoln’s historic buildings that remains architecturally unchanged.
Secure a piece of Lincoln, NH history. Offered here is a high resolution replica of a mural that was painted by Robert Hughes for the 1960 dedication of Lincoln’s new Post Office. An ideal gift for the person who enjoys our local history.
These murals are a fine example of a movement that began in the 1930’s, when President Franklin Roosevelt launched the Section of Fine Arts program during the Great Depression. Public art in federal buildings, including post offices, was created by artists employed by the United States government to beautify the country. In one federal program, 1,400 post office murals were created in more than 1,300 cities and towns. “The murals boosted morale by celebrating local industry and historical events.
Produced on 3 mm sintra board, the 41” x 14.5”, this piece comes unframed. Also included is a narrative brochure describing the images represented in the mural.
This is a pre-buy transaction with a limited window to participate. Orders must be placed by December 13, 2020. Please note this price does not include shipping. Murals will available for pick-up at the Lincoln Public Library on Church Street beginning on December 21, 2020. Pick-up must be at the library.
Should you have any questions, go to the “contact us” page to email us.
Early History of Lincoln:
From the left:
The wood-burning engine J.E.Henry brought from the Zealand, NH operation to Lincoln. Figures represent the Boyle, Doyle and Doherty families, many of whom came from Zealand to work on the logging railroad.
The steam dipper duck crane (background) moved on the railroad track. It hoisted logs off the flat cars onto log piles near the mill pond.
Other figures represent:
Martin A. Brown (in the yellow raincoat) manager of the Parker Young Co., and members of the Stanley family, former residents connected with the Parker Young Co. in the early 1900’s.
The two lumberjacks with the cross-cut saw and ax represent the men who emigrated from such countries as Ireland, Poland, Russia, Lithuania and Finland to find work in America.
Dr. Burtt is seen waving from a sleigh, a true “horse and buggy” doctor. From the early 1900’s to the mid 1940’s he attended to the sick from Thornton Gore to Lincoln, in all kinds of weather.
The snowroller with a 6-horse hitch such as Billy McGee used to roll the winter road from Woodstock-Lincoln town line to Lafayette Place. The other buildings represent: a log house typical of the one built by Thomas Pollard in 1841, the first sawmill, and the first worker houses built by J.E. Henry & Sons.
Mr. Henry was proud of his pair of black driving-horses. Watching him pass is Jim Carey town “cop” for many years, whose “Ye kids scamper!” was fondly recalled by many residents. On the far right is part of the verandah of the old J.E. Henry home on Pollard Road.